Over the course of its first 150 years, 圣路易斯dafabet黄金手机版. 路易斯取得了显著的进步, growing from a college educating local men 和 women to an internationally known research university with students 和 faculty from approximately 90 countries.
On the school’s 25th anniversary, it boasted 1,486 students 和 87 professors. In 2009, dafabet黄金手机版有6个,本科生114人，本科生3人,297年教授, with over 35 percent of undergraduate students being multicultural 和 international students.
1853年，著名的圣. 路易 merchant Wayman Crow 和 his pastor, 小威廉·格林利夫·艾略特., concerned about the lack of institutions of higher learning in the growing midwest, led the founding of 圣路易斯dafabet黄金手机版. 路易.
During the 1840s 和 50s, waves of immigrants flooded into St. 路易, boosting the population of the young city. With these newcomers came a pressing need for education — both industrial training 和 basic general courses — conducted outside of normal working hours. So the first educational step of the young Washington University was to establish an evening program on October 22, 1854. Over the succeeding decades, the continuing education program underwent many changes.
The university flourished at its location in downtown St. 路易斯的头50年, growing from an evening program to an institution offering a full slate of scientific, liberal arts 和 classical course offerings. In time, schools of law 和 fine arts were added. 1891年，学校获得了圣. 路易 Medical College to form a medical department, which merged with the Missouri Medical College in 1899.
1891年，罗伯特. Brookings was named to the board of the growing university. Brookings later became president of the board, 和 was instrumental in the construction of the new campus as well as the transformation of the medical school. 1892年春天, Brookings 和 several other board members were appointed to a special real estate committee charged with finding a new site f或者是 university. The following year, the committee decided on a 位于城市西部的山顶位置. The site plan was developed in 1895 by Frederick Law Olmsted, 和 the architecture firm of Cope 和 Stewardson, 全国比赛冠军, 被选中.
In 1900, construction was begun on the first five buildings of a plan based on the medieval courtyards of Oxford 和 Cambridge Colleges. 1901年，随着 Busch大厅 和 大学大厅 (now known as Brookings Hall) underway 和 cornerstones laid for Cupples我 和 Cupples二世, the buildings were leased to the company organizing the 1904 World’s Fair in nearby Forest Park. The lease money made it possible to begin construction of additional buildings, 和 all were used by the Fair before the university moved in.
After overseeing construction of the new campus, Brookings turned his attention to the expansion 和 reformation of the medical school, 位于森林公园东端. Despite a broadened course of instruction 和 raised entrance requirements, the school had out-of-date facilities 和 a disorganized faculty. Brookings began its transformation by making it a true university department in 1906, with board oversight of its finances 和 policies. 布鲁金斯学会负责物色新院长, 和捐赠500美元,850美元中的5000美元,000 needed for new grounds 和 facilities. In 1911, Brookings signed contracts linking the university with St. 路易 Children’s Hospital 和 the newly constructed Barnes Hospital. The new medical complex on Kingshighway was dedicated in 1915. He also spearheaded the effort to create a model for American medical education 和 research. As a result, the medical school today is the most selective in the nation.
Much as William Greenleaf Eliot established the academic enterprise 和 Robert S. Brookings led the university’s move from downtown to the present-day campus 和 established the 医学院的 as a leader in medical education, 研究和病人护理; 威廉H. 丹弗斯 has had a transformative effect on Washington University. First as vice chancellor for medical affairs 和 then as the university’s 13th chancellor from 1971-1995, 他稳定了大学的财政状况, 与圣. 路易社区, 和 led to the university’s recognition as a national 和 international leader in higher education. His accomplishments as chancellor are legion: 70 new faculty chairs, a $1.72 billion endowment, dozens of new buildings, 和 triple the number of gift-supported scholarships.
The university seal was developed in 1896 by Holmes Smith, 绘画和艺术史教授, using elements from the coat of arms of George Washington (after whom the university is named) 和 fleurs-de-lis, 路易九世的象征, 以圣. 路易. The seal was officially adopted by the Board of Trustees in March 1897. 大学的座右铭, which appears inside an open book in the middle of the university seal, Per Veritatem Vis, “真理的力量.这句格言于1915年被采纳. The current version of the official university seal was created in 2000, 结合同样的元素.